On average, a child laughs 300 to 500 times a day while the average adult laughs approximately 15 times a day. Laughter has tremendous short-term “positive side effects”. Laughing not only lessens your load emotionally but it can induce physical changes in your body as well.
Benefits of Laughing
- Decreases stress hormones
- Triggers release of endorphins (the body’s natural feel good chemicals)
- Relieves physical pain by releasing natural pain killers in the body
- Helps you lose weight
- Gives you good sleep
- Makes you look younger by decreasing facial tension
- Increases immune cells (resistance to disease)
- Lowers blood pressure and pulse
As we progress through our life span, we become more serious and less relaxed. As a direct result of our own internal and external stress, we fail to laugh or find humor in our lives.
Childhood teaches us about playfulness, joy and laughter. It teaches us to be “in the moment”. Unstructured activities allow for fun, creativity and pleasure when external limits are removed. Chronic stress, anxiety and tension are deterrents to optimal organizational performance and productivity.
Go out, laugh, play, have fun and be like a kid!
Contact MehraVista Health if we can assist in any way to improve your happiness.